(Note: to view this video you need the latest Adobe Flash Player).
Bob Terry was raised in St. Louis, Missouri where he met and dated Jeanne who later said “I do.” They have two children and five grandchildren. Sadly Jeanne passed away in 2008.
He heard the call of his country during the Vietnam War and joined the Navy instead of continuing on to college. In just a single 4-year tour he was promoted from E-1 all the way to E-5, a feat not accomplished by many. By the time he earned his honorable discharge, he was supervising the launching and recovery of jet aircraft from the flight deck of the USS America – one of the most dangerous jobs on an aircraft carrier. Later he would resume his education at the University of Chicago.
During his nearly 40 years of successful executive and operational management experience, Bob has worn many hats. While with Borg Warner Financial Services, he was called on to manage the operations of various financially troubled corporations. He was brought in to be the Chief Operations Officer of White Motor Company, to work out the difficulties of Anaconda’s Anamag operations, Wendy’s International franchises, had various assignments with General Motors Corporation and numerous other postings.
When Citi Bank sent him to Oregon to liquidate Oregon Garden Products, we here in Washington County got lucky – our community gained a long-term significant asset – Bob Terry. Instead of liquidating Oregon Garden Products, he turned it around. Within two years they hired him as their President. In just a few short years he doubled their sales and sold the business for over $19 million.
In 1996 Bob purchased Fisher Farms which has four locations in Washington and Yamhill Counties. Here too he doubled sales. Fisher Farms has been a huge success and contributor in our community. He employs 248 people during peak season at his various locations.
Bob hasn’t just spent all his time at his business and with his family; he has dedicated tremendous time and resources to the community. An example of his dedication to our local and expanded community is evidenced by considering the positions he’s held in the following organizations:
- The past Chair and chief benefactor of A Child’s Place.
- Past Chair and President of the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce.
- Past Chair and Founder of the Oregon International Airshow, Hillsboro.
- Past Chair of the Oregon Association of Nurseries.
- Charter Council Member, Tualatin Watershed Council.
- Past Board Member, Washington/Multnomah Regional Investment Board.
- Secretary of the Washington County Budget Committee where he has served for 10 years.
- Board Member and Chair of the Investment Committee ($10+ million portfolio) of the American Nursery and Landscape Association.
- Vice President of the Agri-Business Council of Oregon.
Despite all the awards and accolades he has received over the years, the awards and rewards Bob values the most are his friendships and his family.